With Advanced Ads Pro you can run tests based on the position of the ad. This feature can serve various purposes:
- test ads in position A against ads in position B
- rotation different or the same ad to fight ad blindness
Position tests are running through the placements interface, which you can find unter Advanced Ads > Placements.
Creating a split test
- Go to Advanced Ads > Placements in your site’s dashboard.
- Select a Test weight for the placements you want to test against each other (see below). There is no limit on the number of placements included in a test.
- Click on Save New Test.
- The test is now active and should show up in the Placement tests section above all placements.
- After creating a placement test, you can set an expiry date and define an email address to which a short notice is being sent. The expiry date does not remove the test. This option is checked once per day, so the email might be sent with some delay.
Test weights work like ad rotation weights. E.g., If you set a weight of 2 for Placement A and 4 for Placement B, Placement B will show up twice as often as Placement A.
Placements show up randomly, i.e. the same placement can show up multiple times in a row before switched to another placement.
Evaluating ad tests
Unless you are using the test feature to fight ad blindness with random ad positions, you might want to compare the positions with each other.
In order to do that, you should show different ads for each placement.
If you run an ad network like AdSense, create different AdSense ad units for the test. You can then use the reports in AdSense to see which ad performed best.
If you are testing in-house ads, custom code or images, you can use the Tracking add-on to track impressions and clicks.
What else you need to know
In order to test different ads on the same position, you should use an ad rotation.