This manual describes the options you have in Advanced Ads to show ads only to visitors who give their consent first.
Important notices about these settings
If you enable the Privacy module and a consent method, all ads will be hidden, unless the consent is given. This means that upon activation, neither you nor any other user will see ads. This can decrease your ad revenue a lot.
Advanced Ads does not show a consent notice automatically. Below this tutorial, you will find information on how to integrate with other plugins or build your own using Advanced Ads.
Our privacy settings only work for ads managed with Advanced Ads, e.g., not ads you added directly to your sidebar. On the other hand, you can use these options also to show or execute any other code that needs consent first.
Websites using Cache
On cached websites, you need Advanced Ads Pro with cache-busting enabled to show ads dynamically based on the consent.
You can enable the Privacy module under Advanced Ads > Settings > Privacy.
Next, you need to choose the consent method. For now, you can check an existing cookie and its value. You will find a list of popular plugins and the values you can enter for them below this article.
You can use the Cookie option to show ads based on any cookie set. Ads are hidden until this specific cookie is set by the users. The cookie only needs to contain the value, not be an exact match.
Show non-personalized AdSense ads
Opinions about gathering consent for cookies vary from just informing your visitors to getting explicit consent. This is why we added an option that still allows you to show non-personalized AdSense ads without getting consent first.
It is your responsibility to decide whether to show AdSense without explicit consent or not. We might change this behavior in case AdSense demands us to.
You can follow this tutorial to verify if non-personalized ads are loaded.
Please notice that you could also just disable personalized ads for all EU visitors in your AdSense account. In that case, the option is not working and all EU visitors, those with and those without consent, are seeing non-personalized ads only. Go to Allow & block ads > All my sites > EU user consent to change that setting.
Show ads without consent
If you set up ads that don’t need consent, e.g. image ads or custom HTML ads or any other content that doesn’t concern privacy, you can opt this ad out of the consent.
You find the Privacy setting to show the ad despite the consent not given in the Ad Parameters box of the individual ad settings.
This option only shows up if you have the Privacy module enabled or enabled this checkbox before.
Create a fallback ad
If you want to fill ad space until a user gave consent then use the opt-out option above for a fallback ad as described in this tutorial.
Compatibility with cookie and consent solutions
Our consent method is flexible enough to work with a lot of plugins and other consent gathering solutions. Below, you can find a list of some of them and what to enter in the options.
|Plugin||Cookie Name||Cookie Value|
|Borlabs Cookies 1.X||borlabsCookie||,all – all cookies are accepted|
first-party – only first-party cookies
|Borlabs Cookies 2.X||borlabs-cookie||please find the detailed instructions below|
|Cookie Consent by Catapult_Themes||catAccCookies||1|
|Cookie Notice by dFactory||cookie_notice_accepted||true|
|GDPR Cookie Consent||viewed_cookie_policy||yes|
|GDPR Cookie Compliance||moove_gdpr_popup||thirdparty\”:\”1\”|
|Ginger – EU Cookie Law||ginger-cookie||Y|
|WP GDPR Compliance||wpgdprc-consent-CONSENTVERSION|
with CONSENTVERSION being increased every time you reset or update the cookie bar
|accept – all cookies are accepted|
1,2,4 – (just an example) consent IDs separated by commas
You can also build your own cookie consent message using this tutorial.
Do you need a more advanced cookie check? Use our ad-specific Cookie condition instead of the privacy settings above.
Integrating with Borlabs Cookies 2.x
Borlabs Cookies 2.x is completely different from version 1.x. The cookie name changed and the value now contains the IDs of the cookie groups and cookies. You can use any of those to decide when Advanced Ads should show ads.
- users should see ads when they accepted the Marketing group then enter
marketingin the cookie value field in Advanced Ads
- users should see ads when they accepted the Google AdSense cookie then enter
google-adsensein the cookie value field in Advanced Ads
- Like all solutions that show different ads to different users, this can show wrong ads if the website uses caching. Our cache-busting solves that. Our tests also showed that WP Rocket handles this well.
- The non-personalized-ads for AdSense option doesn’t work for Auto ad codes added manually to the website (and not through our AdSense settings)
- Advanced Ads Pro users need to upgrade to at least version 2.2
- When you enabled the module and consent method but didn’t give your own consent, you will see a warning in the Ad Health section in the frontend. It is not really an issue but might irritate you. Don’t worry, only you see this warning and it helps to debug why ads might not show up. The warning disappears if you gave your consent.
- This feature does not work on AMP, yet, because the Google AMP bot might cache the status without ads and not show any at all. We are going to address this as soon as the cookie plugins we integrate with support AMP as well.