This page is also available in German.
Use the Fixed Widget for WordPress plugin to create sticky widgets that stay in the visible screen area even when users scroll your website up or down. Sticky widgets are noticed by visitors and can get a significantly higher click-through rate. Therefore, this feature is especially useful for ads or other items that visitors should ideally interact with.
Please note that there are more positions and options to create fixed ads in the Sticky Ads add-on.
Table of Contents
This manual will show you how to create sticky widgets in WordPress. The basic requirement for this extremely effective conversion booster is the free plugin Fixed Widgets for WordPress. You can download and install it like any other WordPress plugin.
- jQuery 1.7 is required, jQuery 1.8.3 (or later) is recommended
- The header.php and the footer.php files need to contain the functions wp_head() and wp_footer()
- Widgets must have an ID attribute
- The page does not use AMP
After activating the plugin, navigate to Appearance > Widgets. Open the widget that you want to fix to the screen when someone scrolls your website. Enable the Fixed widget checkbox to active the sticky function for it.
Save the changed widget settings and reload your frontend to see the result.
Additional Options for Fixed Widgets
There are some additional options and advanced settings of Fixed Widgets for WordPress.
There are several reasons why the Fixed Widget for WordPress Plugin doesn’t work.
- The functions wp_head() and wp_footer() are not present in the template. Check the header.php and footer.php files of your active theme.
- Conflicts with other plugins and scripts
- Incompatibilities with your CSS