The ad type defines specific features of an ad that bases on input and output. Find below a description of the current ad types.
Choosing the Ad Type
When creating your ad, you can choose from the following ad types:
|Dummy Ad||No need to upload own ad codes for testing an ad position or Advanced Ads features|
|Rich Content||Works like the WordPress editor with text formating and shortcodes|
|Image Ad||Upload and use image ads|
|Ad Group||Used to inherit ad settings to a number of ads in a group|
|AMP||Ads on Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)|
|AdSense||Dedicated support for ads from AdSense|
|Flash||Ads in flash format|
Find more information to each ad type below.
Plain Text and Code
This ad type offers only a simple textfield for an input and is neither changed when saved nor on output. Use this ad type for any ad codes or content you don’t want to be changed.
Some examples are:
- ad tags from ad networks (e.g. Google AdSense or Amazon)
- HTML code
- PHP code (needs wrapping in <?php ?> )
You can disable the PHP feature by setting the ADVANCED_ADS_DISALLOW_PHP constant.
The Rich Content ad type offers the whole magic of the WordPress content editor. It is practically like creating a normal post. Use this ad type in order to be able to format text or any other rich media content as if working in a text editor. You can even upload images here and use shortcodes.
What you can do with this ad type:
- format text (headlines, bold, italic, colors, etc.)
- create links
- upload and display images
- use shortcodes
- use shortcodes from other ad plugins to combine their features with Advanced Ads
- toggle between Visual and Text view of the content
The Ad Group ad type allows you to select an ad group. This can be useful for various reasons:
- use the same conditions and layout settings for all ads within that group
- use the ad group in a rotation, e.g. you could rotate multiple groups
- tracking all ads within a group under the same tracking link
Displaying the Ad Group ad works exactly like every other ad type.
- the current ad can not be added to the ad group it is displaying, or else it might create an infinite loop.
- you should make sure that the options made for the Ad Group ad are not set in the ads within the selected group, because it might lead to unexpected behavior.
- visitor conditions of the individual ads within the selected group only work on cached sites when using ajax cache-busting.
The image ad type makes it very easy to use a plain image as an ad and link it to another url.
As you can see on the screenshot, you can select an image – which will give you access to the WordPress media library – change an existing image and even see a preview of the ad. You can also set up a url and the size, which currently only serves for informational purposes.
When choosing an image ad from the media library, you can also set an Alt Text attribute there, which will be used when creating the code for the image and can also serve SEO purposes.
This ad type uses responsive image as introduced in WordPress 4.4 by default. You can switch it off by defining the ADVADS_DISABLE_RESPONSIVE_IMAGES constant in your wp-config.php.
See also: Create responsive image ads.
If your theme doesn’t support responsive images then you can use the Responsive add-on to enable this.
Animated gif files
When uploading an image into the WordPress media library, several image sizes are automatically created. This “optimization” leads to the loss of the animation. In order to preserve the animation, upload your gif file with the correct size and use the “full size” when choosing it for your ads.
The AdSense ad type is dedicated to ads from the Google AdSense ad network.
What you can do with this ad type:
- set up ads for your AdSense account manually or by simply inserting the full ad code
- choose ad type and size
Find the full documentation on AdSense ads here.
AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)
AMP is a method to build fast websites especially for mobile devices. Many ad networks offer support for AMP already. We implemented a flexible AMP ad type into the Responsive Add-On.
See also: Display ads on AMP pages.
When Advanced Ads Pro is installed, you also have access to the Flash ad type, which allows you to use ads in flash format.